Law Office of Alan H. Segal

Call For A Consultation

(339) 499-9099

Law Office of Alan H. Segal


  • Published: March 22, 2016

Alan Segal had the recent privilege to attend the Academy Awards with his son Evan and daughter Jennifer. Here’s the reference in Heresay – The Massachusetts Lawyer Weekly newsletter. Click to enlarge.  

  • Published: May 5, 2015

Yes, the landlord can sue the tenant for rent owed as well as any other damages in a Civil Action or through Small Claims. The procedures for Civil Actions are governed by the Massachusetts Rules of Civil Procedure. Normally, it… [ Read More ]

  • Published: April 28, 2015

Maybe. It is generally the landlord’s responsibility to provide and pay for water for the dwelling. The Governor has signed into law an act authorizing water sub-metering in residential tenancies. This statute overrules an advisory ruling issued previously by the… [ Read More ]

  • Published: April 23, 2015

If the court finds for the landlord and grants no stays of execution, the tenant has ten (10) days to appeal from the date that the Clerk’s Office enters judgment. On the eleventh (11th) day, the landlord can ask for… [ Read More ]

  • Published: April 21, 2015

If the landlord decides to commence an eviction action because I will not pay the rent increase, even if I have no defense to the eviction, can I still ask the court for a stay of execution? Yes. Where a… [ Read More ]

  • Published: April 16, 2015

Unless it is an emergency, no landlord can enter an apartment, absent a lease provision or a court order. Pursuant to G.L. c. 186, §15B, a lease for residential property can provide that the landlord may enter to inspect the… [ Read More ]

  • Published: April 14, 2015

No. As a tenant, you are entitled to a Notice to Quit and a Summons for a hearing in court for nonpayment of rent. The landlord cannot use self-help to evict a tenant.

  • Published: April 9, 2015

The tenancy between the parties is a legal contract. It cannot be changed by one side. The tenant can agree to a rent increase. But if the tenant does not agree to the rent increase, then the landlord must terminate… [ Read More ]

  • Published: April 7, 2015

Do I have to serve another Notice to Quit or can I use the prior notice and now serve the Summons? A question such as this one is legal in nature and thus beyond the scope of court personnel to… [ Read More ]

  • Published: November 29, 2012

You should first tell the landlord about the violations. If this does not work, you can contact your local Board of Health, or Inspectional Services, asking them to inspect the property. The Inspector can cite the property, and if the… [ Read More ]

Page 1 of 5:12345»
Translate »