Law Office of Alan H. Segal

Call For A Consultation

(339) 499-9099

Law Office of Alan H. Segal

Can I sue my tenant for money damages if I commence a Summary Process action?

  • Published: November 25, 2012

In Summary Process, a landlord can sue the tenant for rent, even where the underlying reason for the eviction is not for nonpayment.  Within the Summary Process Complaint form provided by the court is a section entitled Account Annexed. It is in this section that the landlord can specify the months that rent is owed. The landlord, however, cannot attach to the Complaint a demand for money for other types of damages. The landlord must institute a separate case to recover other types of alleged damages.

Translate »